What is an Anal Fissure?
A “Fissure” is a tear or a cut in the lining of the skin. Now, an “Anal Fissure” is nothing but a tear in the lining of the skin around the anal opening. It is non-life-threatening and easily treatable. Anal Fissure is quite common among adults and young children (ages 0-5). If you want to know more about Anal Fissure Treatment, read the following sections.
There are two types of Anal Fissures, they are Acute Fissure and Chronic Fissure. Acute fissure heals itself within the time period of 4 to 6 weeks, whereas Chronic Fissure will persist for 8 or more weeks.
Anal Fissure Treatment
Treatments and medications for Fissure will vary depending on the type of anal fissure. Hence, it is very important to identify and understand its types. In the following sections, we have explained about treatments for Fissures.
Treatment For Acute Fissure
We know that an acute fissure is one which heals itself in 4-6 weeks. Since it heals by itself, doctors often prescribe medications which will shorten the time taken to heal, thereby, effectively curing Acute Anal Fissure. Some of the medications for an acute fissure are:
- Stool Softeners: A doctor will prescribe Stool softeners along with fiber supplements in order to make passing of stool easier. Since the fissure is self-healing, these tablets ease the passage of stools, thus leading to fewer cuts.
- Sitz (salt water baths) baths: If there is any irritation felt, then Sitz bath might help by cleaning and relieving of any irritation if felt. It also relaxes the sphincter muscles which can spasm.
- Cream: Applying creams such as nitroglycerin helps promote blood flow. It will also decrease spasms and reduces any inflammation around the area.
- Painkillers: Doctor might prescribe painkillers to patient if necessary. Doctor will prescribe painkillers to ease the pain.
Treatment for Chronic Fissure
These type of fissures cannot be effectively cured with just non-surgical medical treatments (tablets/creams). The fissure will persists for more than 8 weeks. Hence Chronic Anal Fissure Treatment will require surgical intervention. Patients can choose from two main surgeries and they are:
- Anal Sphincterotomy: The surgeon will create a small incision. This will help to reduce the spasms caused by an overly tight anal sphincter muscle. It also helps in healing the fissure.
- Laser Sphincterotomy: The surgeon will use a LASER to create an incision to relax the tight anal sphincter muscles. This will also heal the fissure and it will leave a small scar.
After the surgery doctor will prescribe OTC medicines such as tablets or creams. This will help for complete recovery of the patients.
Advantages of Laser treatment for anal fissures over traditional surgery
|LASER TREATMENT||TRADITIONAL SURGERY|
|Post Surgical Pain||Minimal||Moderate – High|
|Blood Loss||Low Chances||High Chances|
Medfin offers the latest LASER treatment for anal fissures. To consult an expert Medfin surgeon near you, please call us on 7026200200. You can also Whatsapp us on 9986828963 (click here to initiate a whatsapp chat).